Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Still running from reality

Well, it appears Marion Jones learned nothing from her six months in jail.

"Never knowingly did I take performance-enhancing drugs," the disgraced sprinter told Oprah Winfrey on a show taped last week and broadcast Wednesday. Jones, in other words, admits to talking the drugs, just not to knowing they were illegal.

BALCO founder Victor Conte’s reaction?

"I cannot believe Marion Jones continues to lie,” he said. “Enough is enough. She knowingly used performance-enhancing drugs and has already been to prison for lying about it in the first place," Conte said.

Jones told Winfrey she remembered the moment she decided to lie about her drug use — when prosecutors showed her a sample of tetrahydrogestrinone (THG), which Conte named "the clear."

"I knew that I had taken that substance, I made the decision that I was gonna lie and I was gonna, you know, try and cover it up," she said.

Two particularly pathetic moments follow:

"I truly believe that the reason I made the awful mistake and a few thereafter,” she said, “was because I didn't love myself enough to tell the truth." Permit me to suggest it was because she loved herself a little too much.

Then Jones cried while reading from a letter she wrote to her children while in jail, telling them "this place where your mommy has to live for six months is called prison."

And the place she’s living now is called denial.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/trackandfield/news/story?id=3670847

No comments: