Thursday, April 28, 2011

A no-brainer? No, a brainer


In Friday’s column in The New Mexican, I facetiously search for signs of intelligent life in the Universe of Sport.

Surprisingly (not), I find none.

IF I had more room to write in the print edition, however, I would have ended the column in a different manner.

I would have pointed to Texas pitcher Colby Lewis, who had to decide whether attending the birth of Elizabeth Grace Lewis, his second child, was more important than making a routine start for the Rangers.

Let’s see: a one-time, unrepeatable event vs. something that happens every fifth day in a starter’s baseball career?

Lewis chose the birth.

If I had had the space in my “search for intelligent life,” I would have referenced Colby and written:

"Ah, there we are."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For every grain of intelligence, there is an ocean of stupidity.

-- Michael Joel Carroll

Anonymous said...

And every drop gets a vote.