Thursday, January 29, 2009

Redemption, Part II


More recommended reading: Scott Brown’s Pittsburgh Tribune-Review piece on Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who, like Dockett, used the Super Bowl platform to deal with some issues, including in Holmes’ case, his drug-dealing youth.

"If I continued down that path, I wouldn't be here," Holmes said Wednesday. "I've only told three or four people maybe throughout my lifetime about that, and at the moment I felt like it was time to share things."

In the piece, Pittsburgh tackle Willie Colon, who has some knowledge of life in the streets, offered this perspective on Holmes’ past:

"I don't think it's right to sell drugs at all," Colon said. "At the same time, when you look around and your brother's hungry and you've got holes in your shoes and your mother's working four or five jobs? You're going to do something."

While Holmes should be applauded for addressing his past, it should be noted his present isn’t exactly a clean slate. Holmes was arrested earlier this year and charged with misdemeanor possession of marijuana, Holmes said Wednesday that was an isolated incident.

No comments: