Thursday, January 27, 2011

One to learn by

Undoubtedly, there are some who will call Gil Meche a fool for turning his back on $12 million of the Kansas City Royals’ money just because he knows he wouldn’t actually earn it.

But for spurning the cash, Meche is not foolish; he’s honorable.

Explained Meche, who has an injured right elbow that he’s certain will prevent him from ever pitching effectively again:

“When I signed my contract, my main goal was to earn it. Once I started to realize I wasn’t earning my money, I felt bad. I was making a crazy amount of money for not even pitching. Honestly, I didn’t feel like I deserved it. I didn’t want to have those feelings again.”

Rather than engage in a game of charade and collect the dough, Meche retired. He noted the Royals had already paid him $40 million. By stepping on a baseball field, Meche provided financial security for his three children. By stepping off one, he’s provided an amazing lesson.

Just don’t expect Meche to be asked to speak to a gathering of the Major League Players Association anytime soon.

No comments: