Thursday, June 17, 2010

Cue Inspector Callahan


I have a favorite bullfighter.

As of Sunday.

The man’s name is Christian Hernandez, and you may have seen him in action on the news or on YouTube waving his cape in his bull’s general direction, then taking off like a rocket and vaulting over the wall for safety.

Hernandez, who several months ago had been seriously gored, didn’t mince words after the “fight.”

"There are some things you must be aware of about yourself," Hernandez, a 22-year-old Mexican, said. “I didn't have the ability, I didn't have the balls, this is not my thing.”

I’ve never had a favorite bullfighter before. What’s that? Hernandez said he’s quitting? OK, so I have a favorite former bullfighter.

As Dirty Harry so eloquently put it: "A man's got to know his limitations."

No comments: