Thursday, May 6, 2010

"Look into my eyes ... deep into my eyes ..."

So.

The Cincinnati Bengals are close to signing Adam “Pacman” Jones. And they aren’t worried about his legal baggage (six arrests and involvement in a dozen incidents requiring police intervention since 2005) nor his professional baggage (numerous disruptions and a 17-month NFL suspension).

Why?

Because, Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer said, “He looked me in the eye and shook my hand and said, 'Coach, I just want to play.' He seems very humble. He seems to understand."

Wow. He looked him in the eye and seemed very humble. Of course, George W. Bush looked Vladimir Putin in the eye and declared he had a good soul.

As a character check, gazing into someone’s eyes and listening to what they tell you perhaps isn’t quite as effective as noticing what they’ve done.

As I expect the Bengals will find out ...

No comments: